- Watching my Cholesterol! My bad is too high, my good is too low. I’m on a collision course with LIPITOR! Let’s get it ON!
- Rising Early! My normal wake up time is between 5:45a and 6:15. At 23, I didn’t have a pulse till at least 9am.
- Working out to live longer instead of look better! (It’s taken me 20 years to figure out that my life is not determined by my looks. Which Hofert says in my case, is REALLY GOOD NEWS!)
- Making Friday nights Family nights instead of “Flirting Nights”… You know, flirting with the opposite sex, flirting with the bar scene, flirting with the next big thrill, flirting with the hope of fulfillment in the “other”. Glad those days are over!!!
- Seeing my life as moving towards, …being close to…. (but not fully)… being half over. I still think God’s best stuff for me is yet to be discovered. I plan on living into my 90’s (at least)! God is probably chuckling at that one!
- Spending time reflecting and dreaming. At 23, I was too busy losing my identity instead of finding it. Managing my image, living up the expectations of others. Image management is exhausting.
- Stewarding my resources instead of squandering my resources. Seeing my (Time, energy, relationships, money, property, materials, conversations) as an entrusted gift from my creator that I will one day give account for. Ouch! That could be quite a moment. Thank goodness for grace.
- At 23, I wanted to be a husband but didn’t know what it meant to be a man. At 43, I’m still seeking to be a better man so I can be the husband my wife deserves and a father my children cannot do without.
- Speaking of Parenting. At 23 I envisioned children that were, “A chip off the old block!” (So to speak). Never did I dream my family would come into fruition in such a diverse and unique fashion. Yet at 43, this experience has challenged my definition of family, kingdom, justice and fatherhood. I’m positive my kids teach me more than I will ever be able to teach them.
- Co-Leading Watershed. My only religion at 23 involved a round leather ball and hardwood floor. Today, while I’m not into religion, I’ve found myself leading and being lead by incredible people at Watershed. Not the least of which is Scott and our Staff. Next to marriage and parenting, this is the most rewarding and challenging season of my life.
Friday, January 2, 2009
I'm not 23 anymore!
I turn 43 tomorrow. I am embracing my 40's and that's good. However, I am realizing the way I think and live at 43 is not the same way I lived and thought at 23! For example...